I wanted to create a Paleo "Cheddar" Goldfish for Children! It took me 2 times to get this recipe right because the first time I made them they weren't crunchy enough! You can order a goldfish cookie cutter from the company CopperGifts.com who also sells the goldfish cookie cutters on amazon - I receive no referral fee for recommending them :) ! Almost everyone I am friends with grew up eating Cheddar Goldfish - so here we go - make sure to read the recipe carefully!
Ingredients For The "Cheddar" Goldfish:
2-inch fish-shaped cookie cutter
1 & 1/4 Cup of Cassava/Yucca Flour (NOT TAPIOCA STARCH. The only brand that works with this recipe is Ottos Cassava Flour and you can purchase it on Amazon.)
4 tbsp. cold unsalted butter (NOTE: if you are Kosher/Parve use 4 tbsp. of soy free Earth Balance)
8 ounces of "cheddar" cheese (use the recipe below to make the paleo "cheddar" cheese)
1/2 tsp. pink sea salt
1/2 tsp. fresh-ground pepper
Method For The "Cheddar" Goldfish:
1) Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking pans with parchment paper and set aside.
2) Pulse the cassava flour, butter, homemade "cheese", pink sea salt, and pepper together using a food processor until the mixture resembles dough.
3) Form the dough into a ball and cover in plastic wrap and chill in fridge for 20 minutes.
4) Remove the dough from the fridge and roll the dough out to 1/8 -inch thickness on parchment paper. Cut as many crackers as possible using a 2-inch fish-shaped cookie cutter. Place them 1 inch apart on the prepared baking pans. Bake until golden and crisp - 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough. Serve with almond butter spread and Store up to 1 week in an airtight container at room temperature.
Ingredients For "Cheddar" Cheese:
1 Cup of Raw Carrots, peeled and chopped
1 Cup Raw, soaked cashews, drained (Soak them for 2 hours in water)
1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon of pink sea salt
Method For "Cheddar" Cheese:
1) In a blender, combine the carrots and drained, soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, and pink sea salt.
2) Blend on high until creamy. Now you have the 8 ounces of " cheddar cheese" to use in the above part of the recipe!
Ingredients For Almond Butter Spread: (Optional)
1/2 Cup of Almond Butter (I like the brand Barney Butter Bare Almond Butter Smooth from Amazon)
1 tbsp. Honey
1/4 tsp. sea salt
Method For Almond Butter Spread:
1) Stir the almond butter, 1/4 tsp. sea salt, and honey together until smooth.
Enjoy with Your Children! You can make the Goldfish into ANY shape you like using a
*Baked, Arranged, & Photographed by MaryRuth.