I am so happy to share this Maple Syrup Paleo Pie with each of you! This dessert has 3 steps; make the crust, make the filling, and make the coconut whipped cream. Pies take more work to make then some other kinds of desserts, however, there is something truly magical about the moment you serve a slice of fresh baked pie with a side of whipped cream to someone you love and they take their fork and take a bite of pie with a little whipped cream and they say
"WOW! This is the best pie I have ever had!"
I had to make 2 different crusts to get this recipe right! The first time I made the crust I was so excited because my goal was to make a cassava/yucca flour crust with 1/4 Cup VODKA (I used Chopin Potato Vodka as it is gluten-free alcohol!) because I had read that the pie crust will be extra flaky when you add vodka to it, however, that pie crust was a disaster and crumbed all over the place both before and after baking so I had to start over. The second time I completely changed my recipe and created the perfect pie crust for this pie (thank goodness!)
This is a nut-free and seed-free paleo dessert. The crust is made with cassava/yucca flour (Not to be confused with Tapioca Flour) and the filling with mainly eggs and maple syrup! I promise this dessert will be incredibly memorable for whoever you serve it to! I truly encourage you to GO FOR IT and make this pie even if you have never made a pie before in your life... it will be one of the best experiences both while making it and while eating it... PS to save time a person could even skip making the pie crust all together and just make the filling... it's that good!
One more final note: please make sure to read ALL the directions very carefully before you buy your ingredients as there are a lot of steps and it is important to know what they are BEFORE you actually start baking! This pie is best when made 24 hours before serving!
Ingredients For The Yucca Pie Crust:
2 1/4 cups Otto's Cassava Flour (You can find this product on Amazon and it has to be this exact product otherwise the crust will not work.)
2 Tablespoons of Grade A Maple Syrup
3/4 Cup of cold unsalted butter (Note: If you are Kosher then you can use 3/4 cup of cold soy free Earth Balance but please note that soy free Earth Balance is not paleo)
1/2 Teaspoon of Pink Sea Salt
8 Tablespoons of ice water (put the water in the freezer for 10 minutes prior to using)
Method For Pie Crust:
1) Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Take out a 9 inch Pie Crust Glass Dish and set aside.
2) Mix the pink sea salt and flour in a mixing bowl. Add the butter or soy free Earth Balance and with your hand (I wear disposable plastic gloves when I do this) mix the salt, flour, and butter until well combined to the point there is almost no more pieces of butter left to see in the mixture.
3) Place the maple syrup and the egg in a separate small mixing bowl and whisk together and then add the mixture to the flour and use a spoon to stir the mixture together.
4) Add the ice water to the mixture and use your hand again to work the dough into a round ball.
5) Place the dough in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
6) Roll the dough into a 12-inch circle on a yucca floured counter or roll the dough on a piece of parchment paper. The dough should be about 1/4 inch thick. Loosely roll dough around rolling pin and gently unroll it onto 9-inch pie plate.
7) Ease dough into plate by gently lifting edge of dough with your hand while pressing into plate bottom with your other hand.
8) Crimp dough evenly around edge. Bake the pie crust for 20 minutes. Remove and set aside. IMPORTANT NOTE: At this point the pie crust is only half cooked and after you add the filling you will cook the pie crust again this time with the filling inside!
Ingredients For The Maple Syrup Pie Filling:
1 & 3/4 Cup Grade A Maple Syrup
2/3 Cup Full Fat Canned Coconut Milk
1/4 Teaspoon Pink Sea Salt
5 Tablespoons of unsalted butter (Note: If you are Kosher then you can use 5 tablespoons of soy free Earth Balance but please note that soy free Earth Balance is not paleo)
2 tablespoons of Arrowroot Starch (I like the brand Bob's Red Mill)
3 large eggs plus 2 large yolks
2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
Method For The Maple Syrup Filling:
1) Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. (You are getting the oven ready to bake the pie shortly)
2) Bring maple syrup, coconut milk, and sea salt to a boil in a medium saucepan.
3) Add the butter or the soy free Earth Balance and whisk together until melted.
4) Reduce heat to medium-low and whisk in arrowroot starch.
5) Bring to simmer and cook for 1 minute, whisking frequently.
6) Transfer to large bowl and LET COOL FOR AT LEAST 30 MINUTES. THIS STEP IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST!
7) After the mixture has cooled for 30 minutes then whisk in the eggs, yolks, and vinegar until smooth.
8) Place cooled crust that is in the glass pie dish on a baking sheet and pour filling into crust.
9) Bake until filling is just set between 35 minutes and 45 minutes. (When I made the pie mine cooked for exactly 40 minutes and was perfect!) Let pie cool completely on wire rack for
ABOUT 2 HOURS.... MAKE SURE THE PIE COOLS FOR 2 HOURS BEFORE YOU PLACE IN THE FRIDGE!
10) Transfer cooled pie to the fridge and chill until fully set, at least 2 hours or up to
24 hours. Serve cold or at room temperature ... I find that it tastes best straight from the fridge!
Ingredients For Coconut Whipped Cream:
2 Cans of 13.5 ounce Full Fat Coconut Milk (Note: these cans have to be in the fridge overnight before you can make the whipped cream!)
2 Cups of Palm Shortening (Note: in some recipes I like the brand Nutiva shortening HOWEVER for this recipe in order to keep the whipped cream a true white color I like the brand "Spectrum" non-hydrogenated Organic All Vegetable Shortening)
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of Maple Syrup
1/4 teaspoon of pink sea salt
Method For Coconut Whipped Cream
1) Place the whisk attachment on your hand mixer OR your Stand Mixer. This whipped cream is best when made using a stand mixer but you can also use a hand mixer! Open the chilled coconut cans and take only the TOP layers of the coconut milk off the can leaving all the coconut water at the bottle of the can - you will not use the coconut water in this recipe. Beat the coconut cream on high speed for 3 minutes then add the 2 cups of palm shortening and beat on high speed for another 5 minutes until airy soft peaks arise.
2) Add you vanilla extra, maple syrup, and pink sea salt to the mixture and beat on high for
1 more minute until well combined. The whipped cream is now ready to serve! If you need to store the whipped cream keep in the fridge for up to 3 days and remove from the fridge for
20 minutes before serving to allow the whipped cream to become soft again.
ENJOY THIS COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM WITH YOU MAPLE SYRUP PALEO PIE!
*Baked, Arranged, & Photographed by MaryRuth.